Students from St. Mary’s Catholic Elementary School in Chester and Chester Elementary School captured 3 of 4 first place trophies at the Bi-County Spelling Bee held on Tuesday, April 17th at Steeleville Elementary School. The spelling contest, sponsored annually by the Regional Office of Education, featured 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade students from 17 elementary schools in Monroe and Randolph counties.
The winner of the 5th grade contest is Colin Wingerter of St. Mary’s Catholic Elementary School. Colin is the son of Philip and Jennifer Wingerter of Chester. The 6th grade contest winner is Isabella Jones of Sparta Lincoln Middle School. Isabella is the daughter of Mario and Melissa Jones of Sparta. The 7th grade contest winner is Justin Stehl of Chester Elementary School. Justin is the son of David and Karen Stehl. The 8th grade contest winner is Elizabeth Heffernan of St. Mary’s Catholic Elementary School. Elizabeth is the daughter of Mike and Joan Heffernan of Chester.
Regional Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Marc Kiehna commented, “It was an exciting evening highlighted by our 5th grade students who went through an astounding 78 rounds before a champion was crowned. I want to thank Superintendent Stephanie Mulholland, Coordinator Shawn Liefer and the Steeleville Elementary Staff for helping us put on a great Spelling Bee.”
Winners by grade:
1. Colin Wingerter St. Mary's Chester
2. Jenny Yang - Sparta Lincoln
3. Hayley Strotman - Coulterville Elementary
1. Isabella Jones - Sparta Lincoln
2. Elizabeth Eubanks - St. Mary's Chester
3. Sara Stehlik – Columbia Middle School
1. Justin Stehl – Chester Elementary
2. Jeff Cross - Evansville Attendance Center
3. Dustin Rednour - Prairie du Rocher Elementary
1. Elizabeth Heffernan - St. Mary's Chester
2. Nick Gillan - Immaculate Conception
3. Corey Steibel - Red Bud Catholic