Breaking News Bar

Busy Saturday for Chester FD

  • Chester firefighters walk toward the Gwin Apartments on Opdyke Street while responding to the report of a fire alarm in an elevator on Saturday morning. Assistant Fire Chief Ronnie Shemonic told the Herald Tribune the alarm was caused by an electrical issue in an alarm panel.

    Chester firefighters walk toward the Gwin Apartments on Opdyke Street while responding to the report of a fire alarm in an elevator on Saturday morning. Assistant Fire Chief Ronnie Shemonic told the Herald Tribune the alarm was caused by an electrical issue in an alarm panel.
    Pete Spitler/Herald Tribune

 
By Staff Report
Posted on 2/6/2017, 10:20 AM

Last Saturday was a busy day for the Chester Fire Department with two calls in a little more than nine hours.

Firefighters were paged out at 12:26 a.m. for the report of fire in the basement of a residence at 1607 Oak Street on the city"s northeast side.

Fire Chief Marty Bert told the Herald Tribune a clothes dryer had caught fire and smoke was filling the house. Fire extinguishers were used to extinguish the fire and no other departments were paged to assist.

Firefighters were on-scene for about 45 minutes.

"We took the clothes out of it, unplugged it and used ventilation fans to get the smoke out of the house," Bert said.

Later that morning, firefighters were paged at 9:55 a.m. to the Gwin Apartments (commonly known as the Chester highrise) on Opdyke Street for a fire alarm sounding in an elevator.

On-scene, Assistant Fire Chief Ronnie Shemonic told the newspaper there was an electrical issue with an alarm panel and that was the cause for the page.