The Steeleville Fire Department had a busy weekend, as firefighters were paged out for a fire call on Sept. 30 and to assist with two separate accidents about three hours apart on State Route 150 west of the Steeleville tee on Sunday.
The first accident was reported 12:40 p.m. and involved two vehicles. The second accident involved a single vehicle and was reported at 3:30 p.m.
In total, the accidents sent three people to the hospital for evaluation and treatment
In the first accident, the Randolph County Sheriff's Office crash report states a 2005 Chevrolet Impala - driven by 27-year-old Danielle McBroom of Steeleville - was traveling eastbound on State Route 150 when it allegedly went into the westbound lane and struck a 2017 Nissan driven by 41-year-old Scott Gilmore of Chicago.
A passenger in Gilmore's vehicle, 20-year-old Octavia Gunn, also of Chicago, was transported to Chester Memorial Hospital for treatment of injuries. McBroom was cited for failure to obtain an Illinois driver's license, operating an uninsured motor vehicle and improper lane useage.
Three hours later, the Illinois State Police responded to the report of a single-vehicle rollover on Route 150 three-quarters of a mile north of Substation Road.
In that accident, 32-year-old John A. Denninger, of Cutler, was driving a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero westbound on Route 150 with his 22-year-old girlfriend, Kelsey L. Jackson (also of Cutler) as a passenger.
According to ISP's report, Denninger told law enforcement something broke on his steering wheel column, causing the vehicle to veer sharply to the right. The Alero ran off the road, struck a ditch embankment and then overturned onto its top.
Steeleville Fire Chief Rich Reitz said both Denninger and Jackson were out of the vehicle when firefighters arrived, but Denninger suffered a seizure while being medically evaluated on the side of the road.
He was later taken from the scene by MedStar Ambulance with "non-incapacitating" injuries, according to the ISP report. Jackson was also taken from the scene for treatment.
No citations were issued at the scene.
In regard to the fire call, Reitz said firefighters were paged to the home of Josh Hepp at 505 E. Main in Steeleville at 5 a.m. Neighbors saw smoke coming off the back deck of the residence and reported the fire.
The blaze, which has been preliminarily ruled to have been started by smoldering cigarettes, burned a hole in the deck and melted some siding but otherwise caused no other structural damage to the house.
Reitz said firefighters were on scene for about an hour.