Breaking News Bar

Chester firefighters battle blaze that serious damages a home

  • Smoke pours out of the upstairs section of a house fire in Chester Sunday. Chester fire officials believe the cause of the fire was electrical.

    Smoke pours out of the upstairs section of a house fire in Chester Sunday. Chester fire officials believe the cause of the fire was electrical.
    Shot by Shields photo

  • John and Ashley Turner, left center under blankets, talk to neighbor Lois Schwier and Chester firemen.

    John and Ashley Turner, left center under blankets, talk to neighbor Lois Schwier and Chester firemen.
    Jim Beers Photo

  • Chester Fire Chief Marty Bert breaks windows on the upper floor of a home at 1414 Allendale St. to ventilate the house.

    Chester Fire Chief Marty Bert breaks windows on the upper floor of a home at 1414 Allendale St. to ventilate the house.
    Jim Beers photo

 
By Jim Beers
Contributing writer
updated: 4/11/2018 1:12 PM

Chester firefighters battled a blaze that seriously damaged a home in Chester April 8.

Chester Fire Department received a call at 4:16 p.m. Sunday afternoon regarding a structure or house fire at 1414 Allendale Street in Chester. According to family members, the homeowner John Turner, was working with two friends to install a ceiling fan in an upstairs room, when at one point they experienced difficulty with a tripped breaker and had to try to find out what was causing the difficulty.

In the process, the men went into town to purchase a new breaker, according to the family. Turner's wife, Ashley. and three children were still at home when a neighbor, Davis Green, knocked on the door and informed them that the house was on fire.

The fire department was called and Ashley Turner and the three children immediately left the house. When the fire department arrived there was smoke and flames pouring from the upstairs portion of the home.

When we arrived we were somewhat short of men and there was a lot of smoke pouring from the front door as my men attempted to enter" said Chester Fire Chief Marty Bert. "I grabbed a ladder and climbed on the carport to break the upstairs window to allow the heavy smoke to escape so my firefighters could enter the house," Bert said.

He added firefighters from Steeleville and Ellis Grove were called to assist in fighting the fire, and at one point as many as 30 firefighters from the three departments were battling the blaze.

Within minutes, the fire was able to be controlled.

Bert said the upstairs of the house was severely damaged by extreme heat and smoke, while the main level and basement received severe smoke and water damage.

"There were no injuries and everyone was safe," Bert said. "The cause was apparently electrical in nature and there will likely be no need for a special investigation."

Bert noted firefighters returned to the home Monday morning on a call regarding smoke or steam coming from the chimney, but they found no active fire remaining in the home.