A popular Carbondale tradition, the Sunset Concert Series, kicks off its 41st season June 13.
The free outdoor concerts are slated for 7 p.m. each Thursday evening through July 25, with the exception of the July 4 holiday. The location rotates among the steps of Shryock Auditorium on the SIU campus, Carbondale's Turley Park, and the corner of Washington Street and Illinois 13, across from the Newell House.
The schedule includes:
• June 13: Donovan Keith, a soul rock, dance-infused act from Austin, Texas. Shryock Auditorium Steps.
• June 20: The Josephines, a self-proclaimed "rag-tag group of rock-n-roll-drenched country hoodlums" from Bowling Green, Ky., playing alternative county. Turley Park.
• June 27: Sweet Crude, a drum-driven pop band from southern Louisiana performing high-energy tunes in English and French. Corner of Washington Street and Illinois 13.
• July 11: Raging Fyah, reggae and contemporary island tunes straight from Kingston, Jamaica. Corner of Washington Street and Illinois 13.
• July 18: Christone "Kingfish" Ingram, soulful blues by the singer/songwriter prodigy from Clarksdale, Miss. Turley Park.
• July 25: Bottletones, the Carbondale-born, Chicago-based group performs a mix of rockabilly, surf, punk and psychobilly. The band played the local music scene in the mid-1990s and was a requested act by the Carbondale in the '80s and '90s Facebook group, which recently established the B.E.E.R scholarship at SIU. All but one of the band's members are SIU alumni, attending in the late '80s and early '90s. Shryock Auditorium steps.
Rules prohibit glass bottles, pets, smoking and solicitation. Underage drinking laws will be enforced, and those attending may only bring single-serve containers. Participants are also encouraged to bring blankets or lawn chairs so they can relax and enjoy the entertainment.
Several campus and city entities work together to make the Sunset Concert Series happen. Sponsors include the SIU Student Programming Council and Student Center, the Carbondale Park District and the city of Carbondale.
For additional information, visit studentcenter.siu.edu/sunsetconcerts.