The Memorial Hospital Auxiliary is getting ready to light its Tree of Remembrance, and already has raised $2,950 toward this year's campaign.
Starting the first Friday in December, the tree will shine brightly in front of Memorial Hospital with hundreds of lights dedicated to loved ones lost who are remembered during the Christmas season. The tree will remain lit throughout December and January.
Started in 1983, the Tree of remembrance campaign has allowed the auxiliary to purchase $359,260 in equipment for the hospital, including surgical tables, chemo/infusion chairs, and a mammogram machine. Funds collected this year will be used to purchase two Barrier-Free Examination Tables for the Memorial Hospital Specialty Clinic.
Due to COVID-19, the auxiliary was not able to hold many of its usual bake sales, raffles and other fundraisers. Thus the Tree of Remembrance will make up the majority of the auxiliary's fundraising for the year.
Those wishing to make a donation or memorial contribution in honor of a loved one may do so by mailing it to: Tree of Remembrance Chairman Apryl Bradshaw, Memorial Hospital, 1900 State Street, Chester, IL 62233.
Contributions and memorials are recognized weekly in the Chester Herald Tribune.
Donations and memorials received to date include:
• Beta Nu Chapter In memory of BSF Sisters
• Mary Alice Welge and Julia Saak, in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Brockey Childers and Frances Jarvis
• Mary Alice Welge and Family, in memory of Donald E. Welge; Mr. and Mrs. William H. Welge; and 1st Lt. Bruce R. Welge.
• The Mike Vasquez Family, in loving memory of Dan and Blanche Vasquez, and John and Rudelle Fulford
• Beverly Bollman, in memory of Donald Bollman
• Donna Clendenin, in memory of Leonard Clendenin, James Monfredini, James L. Monfredini, and Pansy Monfredini
• Russ and Linda Rader, remembering our brothers PFC Leonard Nitzsche and L/CPL Charles Rader
• Chester Electrical Supply, Inc., in memory of Willard and Elvera Rathert
• Pechacek Funeral Homes, in memory of Ron Pechacek
• Friends of Elaine McClure and her daughter, in memory of Elaine McClure
• Dr. Allan and Louise Liefer, in memory of our parents, Sam and Mathilda Stermer and Elmer and Elsie Liefer
Ron and Jill Arbeiter
Danny and Marla Cowell
Frank and Sandra Benedict
Mary and Michael Sulser
Chester Family Dental
Arbeiter Law Offices
The American Legion Alva Courier Post No. 487
Colvis Investment Services
Chester National Bank
Chester Animal Hospital
Chester Masonic Lodge No. 72
Buena Vista National Bank of Chester
Randolph County Abstract
Dr. James and Betty Krieg
American Legion Auxiliary Alva Courier Unit No. 487
Dr. Robert and Pauline Platt